Monday, September 27, 2010

Animal Sacrifices

Over the last two weeks we have started venuring out into sector four of Arbolito, which is down the road aways. We have been picking up these kids named Leonardo and Elena to go to Semillas. The other day we went to their house and started talking to their mom. She proceeded to tell us that she was going to kill her duck for us. We were all confused and decided that we had heard he wrong and that something was lost in translation. The next day, when we picked up her kids she gave us this pot and said that she had made us secco de pato, which ended up being delicious. I looked around and the family´s only duck was missing. Then she told us that she was going to kill her pig for us and she pointed to two pigs. One was a pretty normal looking pig and the other couldn´t stand on account her giant pregnant belly. Jon and I looked at each other and I think that we were both hoping that she wasnt going to kill the pregnant one(dont worry, she didnt). So, we went over to their house yesterday and they gave us a pig sausage soup, which was hard to stomach. The sausage texture was very soft and strange. I did my best to be polite. After soup, they gave us each a giant plate full of pork products in various shapes, sizes, and from different locations on the animal. This was delicious, even though our guard had warned us that if we ate pork we would get parasites that ate our brains. After this she brought out a cake. It was the most confusing cake I have eaten in a while. It was really dense with fruit in it and it was covered with whipped cream, orange marmalade, chocolate, and dulce de leche. Don´t get me wrong, it was delicious, I just kept thinking about how I just wanted the cake to decide what kind of cake it was.

I will try to bring some pictures in for my next post if possible. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment